All metal ages and oxidizes as it interacts with the elements and your skin. Brass especially can make quite a color change, going from shiny gold to a dark brown metal. We personally love the look of aged jewelry because it shows your connection to it and how often you wear it, but here are a few ways to delay the process or to revive an older piece.
- Keep jewelry in a bag or box when not wearing to protect it from the elements
- Never wear jewelry in a pool.
- Do not shower with jewelry on (sterling is a little more forgiving) I also recommend leaving jewelry in another room while you are showering, steam can be just as bad.
- You can shine up any piece with an all metal polishing cloth
- You can shine up a piece of brass with super fine steel wool, although keep in mind that this process does take off a thin layer of the actual metal, plus you are going to give it some texture so be sure to polish in one direction for best results.